Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Home

Tonight as I ran errands I passed through a bunch of fresh trees they're selling for Christmas. The smell hit me, it made me think of Washington. That got me started pondering where "home" really is to me now.

For those who don't know, I was born in California and lived there for almost twelve years, then in Washington for fifteen years before moving to Utah four years ago.

The smell of those trees brought back memories of our house in Washington. We lived on an acre of land in the mountains and had plenty of pine trees around. I remember when we first moved there, it smelled to me like we were camping every day. The only time I'd been around that many trees was when we drove hours from Southern CA to the mountains to camp. Washington is where daughter was born, where I got started in my accounting career and where I have many good friends and fond memories. While I lived in Washington for fifteen years, and have many good memories there, it isn't home to me anymore.

Four years ago when I moved to Utah it was because of the situation I was in, not because I wanted to live in Utah. Utah was in fact the LAST place I'd ever wanted to live. When I moved here I was scared of being judged for being a single mom by all the "Utah Mormons". Actually, my experience has been the opposite. People are so willing to help me out, because I'm a single mom. Funny though, it feels like home now. Last weekend Kaylee spent the night with my parents and after picking her up I did errands in that area and it struck me, this feels like home. I remember when I first moved here I thought Utah was so ugly! It was so brown and... well brown. Now when I look at the mountains I think they're beautiful. I love that I see the sunshine on a very regular basis and never have time to lose my sunglasses! Sure beats the record 90-something days of no sunshine in WA.

This is where I've made my first home of my own. My townhouse may be old, but it's mine and I love it! Kaylee and I have a good life here, lots of friends and very friendly neighbors. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Utah really feels like home now. Although I gave my parents, and brother and sister, a really hard time for "ditching me" and moving to Utah, I'm glad they did. This is where I'm supposed to be now.

3 comments:

Eames said...

I am glad you are here!

Anonymous said...

We're all glad you came. Welcome home!

Jenn Mobbs said...

Welcome "Home" Glad to hear you say nice things about Utah for now:)