Saturday, July 18, 2009
Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House
Last night Carl, Kaylee and I had the chance to go to the open house of the newest temple here in the Salt Lake Valley, the Oquirrh Mountain Temple.
A girl in my ward has relatives who worked on the building of the temple, and she gave us 4 pages of details of things to look for and stories about different things in and around the temple. It made our visit there more interesting to know the history of different parts of it.
Growing up in Washington, there was one temple and it was just off the freeway that we drove on frequently. So, I've never lived somewhere that the temple was far away. But, as you drive on the freeway here, there is a spot where you can look around and see all three temples in the south part of the valley, the Jordan Valley, Draper and now Oquirrh Mountain temples. That is just amazing to me. I'm sure Kaylee is probably tired of it, but whenever we're on I-15 I make her look around and see all three temples.
In Kaylee's life she's seen the Seattle, Hawaii, Bountiful, Ogden, Salt Lake, Timpanogos, Provo, St. George, Draper, Jordan River and now Oquirrh Mountain temples. And she's been to two open houses (Draper and Oquirrh). She was only 3 weeks old at the Hawaii temple, but I have pictures to show her that she really was there!
Going into the temple before it's dedicated is a special experience. I love showing Kaylee the rooms and teaching her what happens in the temple. Seeing the baptismal font was very interesting to her, and she wanted to know how old she had to be to be able to do baptisms for the dead there. I'm glad she's growing up with an appreciation for temples and for the gospel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment