Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm back! And Kaylee's gone

I just got my computer back tonight!! It's been pretty much out of service since right after Christmas. My brothers friend worked on it for me, I think the final count was 16 viruses. Oops! I now have McAfee installed, so hopefully I won't get any more viruses.

Yesterday was quite the day for us. Kaylee was scheduled to leave for Seattle on a 9:30 am flight. We got to the airport around 7:30 and when I tried to check her in, I was told Seattle was under a weather advisory and Kaylee wouldn't be allowed to board the plane. The closest flight to when the advisory lifted was at 2:50. Poor Kaylee, she was SO bummed that she couldn't get on the plane. We'd gotten up early and she was really excited to go see her brothers. One of her brothers turned 3 yesterday and it was a surprise that she was coming to visit for his birthday. I tried to convince Kaylee to go to work with me in the time before we had to be back at the airport, but she was sad and just wanted to go home and cuddle and watch tv.

Fast forward and it's now 1:00 and we're back at the airport. This time I'm told we're allowed to go down to the gate, but that I'll have to get a supervisor to get approval from the pilot before Kaylee can board the plane. Her flight was scheduled to leave 10 minutes before the "advisory" lifted. We jumped through all the hoops and Kaylee was given the okay to be on that flight. Not that I was anxious for her to leave, but I knew how much it meant to her and to her dad for her to be there for Xanders birthday.

All the red tape distracted me from what I was doing, putting my barely 5-year old child on a plane alone. Yes she flew home by herself last time, but Daniel put her on the plane, not me. This was a whole new experience. My head knew she'd be fine, but it just broke my heart to put her on a plane alone. I always cry when she leaves, but usually I'm passing her right off to her dad, so I know he'll take care of her. Needless to say I was a nervous wreck for the next two hours, until Kaylee called and let me know she'd arrived safely. She doesn't understand why her dad and I get so nervous, she thinks she's really grown up now that she can fly without us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making it through your first unaccompanied minor trip. I'm glad she got there safe and that you can think about other things again.